Thursday, July 4, 2013

Obsidian

Book: Obsidian
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout   
Pages: 361

Blurb: "Starting over sucks.

When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring.... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something...unexpected happens. 

The hot alien living next door marks me.

You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades. 

If I don't kill him first, that is." - from goodreads.com



Rachael's Recap 
Book Rating: 5 chocolate bars 
Cover Rating: 3 chocolate bars 

When Katy moved to a new town she expected the standard new girl stuff. Getting use to a new town, a new school, and of course new neighbors.  When she meets Dee, her new neighbor who is also her age, she thinks things probably won't be that bad in this new town, might even be fun. Well, that was the case, until Dee's over protective, hot, annoying, twin brother, Daemon, butts in. Katy and Daemon hate each other from the very start, but can't seem to stay away from each other at the same time. Just as things are settling down, Katy learns a secret, a huge secret. Her neighbors, overly peppy Dee and obnoxious Daemon, are aliens, and since Katy has been marked by them, she has to stay close so they can protect her. 

I usually don't go for the alien books because I think they are just weird, sorry but I never liked ET. This book gives me a whole new image of what aliens are. Obsidian was super funny and extremely fun to read. Katy, the main character, is pretty nice, but not too nice that she doesn't object to flipping Daemon off when he a jerk. She is an extremely strong character who doesn't let anyone push her around.  Also, the fact that she loves books and has a book blog is pretty freaking awesome. Dee is an adorable character too, she is just always so happy and so nice. Demon had the whole bad boy act going for him. But, he was really protective of his sister, which was great I thought. He was super annoying to Katy (that made me love him more), but he could be sweet (that made me love him wayyyyyy more). But, he could also be a total jerk witch sometimes annoyed me. 

I have never read a book about aliens like this before, and I was surprised by how much I loved it. It had so many aspects in it, like mystery, romance, and humor. Jennifer L. Armentrout painted a new view of aliens for me and all her readers. When I think of aliens now I definitely don't think of little green people, I think of the green eyed boy Daemon and his sister Dee. This book had so many elements I loved in it. 

Things that I loved
  • Katy didn't let people push her around
  • Katy had a book blog! How awesome is that!?!?
  • Not a typical alien story 
  • Extremely funny
  • At the end there are some scenes from Daemon's POV

Things that I wished were different
  • Daemon was amazing, but sometimes he was too much of an a** hole for me to handle 

If you are looking for an extraterrestrial book that will have you begging for more by the end, then I suggest you pick up Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout.

No comments:

Post a Comment