Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Tiger's Curse

Book: Tiger's Curse
Author: Colleen Houck
Pages: 403
Blurb: "Passion. Fate. Loyalty.
Would you risk it all to change your destiny?

The last thing Kelsey Hayes thought she’d be doing this summer was trying to break a 300-year-old Indian curse. With a mysterious white tiger named Ren. Halfway around the world. But that’s exactly what happened. Face-to-face with dark forces, spellbinding magic, and mystical worlds where nothing is what it seems, Kelsey risks everything to piece together an ancient prophecy that could break the curse forever.

Tiger’s Curse is the exciting first volume in an epic fantasy-romance that will leave you breathless and yearning for more." - from goodreads.com

Rachael's Recap

Book Rating: 3.9 chocolate bars
Cover Rating: 3 chocolate bars

What do you expect from a summer job? Fun, getting paid a lot, and maybe even a cute guy. But definitely not a surprise trip to India, where you find out you are the one you were prophesied to break the curse that has held two princes captured in tiger form for centuries. Kelsey travels with Ren, the hansom prince, the white tiger in order to break the curse. Can she do it without losing her life? Or her heart?

Tiger's Curse brought me into a whole new venue of writing, Indian mythology. For me, Tiger's Curse was a book I had on my shelf and I never wanted to read because I thought, Indian mythology - really? But, I am sure glad I picked it up. Colleen Houck spins together a beautiful world of love, danger, and adventure that drew me in instantaneously.

Now, let's talk about the characters. Honestly, I was a little disappointed in Kylie. To me she seemed like a fairy tale princess who didn't understand anything about the outside world and thought everything was great. I also found myself - a lot of the time - wishing she would quit whining. She was much too self-conscious and it really got to me. Even though Kylie did have some characteristics I had troubles with, she had some good ones as well. She was always willing to help others and wasn't afraid to speak her mind. Those are two very important characteristics I like in a female heroine. I loved Mr. Kadam in this book, he was sort of like a grandfather character. I wish we saw more of him during the book, but never the less he was great.
Now, let's get to Ren and Kishan. Those are the two brothers who are cursed into being tigers for almost 24/7.  Whenever you read a book that has brothers in it, you know you are in trouble. Both beautiful brooding boys were pretty intense and straight forward. Ren was especially protective of Kylie which at some point I totally loved, but other times I was like seriously? One thing I loved about this book (and series) is that it wasn't completely centered around one brother (read book 2!).

Overall this book was pretty good. I loved how Kylie and Ren would argue (it was funny), but I also liked how in the end you saw how deeply Ren cared for Kelsey. Another little problem I had was all the poetry! Now it may just be me, because I don't really like poetry, but it was getting tiring when they kept quoting famous poets and reading poetry all the time.

What I loved
  • Kishan and Ren were the best heart breaking pair of brothers ever
  • It's so unique! I mean who has ever done Indian mythology before? Plus it was really interesting

What I wished were different
  • Kelsey was kind of like a Disney princess, thinking everything was great, and it got  annoying
  • Too much poetry
  • Way to much lack of self-esteem and whinnying in Kylie 
Wanting something totally unique and never done before? Check out Colleen Houck's amazing head spinning world of lion, tigers and bears. OK, maybe just tigers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment