Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Shatter Me


   

Book: Shatter Me
Author: Tahereh Mafi
Pages: 338

Blurb: "Juliette hasn't touched anyone in exactly 264 days.


The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette’s touch is fatal. As long as she doesn’t hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don’t fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.



The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war – and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she’s exactly what they need right now.



Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior."


Rachael's Recap
Book Rating: 3.7 chocolate bars 
Cover Rating: 2  chocolate bars (the original cover I liked much more. This one kinda creeped me out)

This book was, honestly, not what I was expecting. I was expecting the whole "Poor me. I wish my life was normal," then que sobs. But, no way was that this book. The main character Juliette cannot touch anyone without hurting them, or even killing them, but she still kicks butt. She does not let anyone push her around , especially Warner, the man who is keeping her captive. Everyone has called her a monster or  a freak, except Adam. This story was something new and fresh that I loved. I loved the way the writing in the story had Julliet fighting with herself, trying to figure out who she really was, if she was really the freak everyone had said she was. In the beginning of the book it starts with Juliette talking and describing things. At first I was terrified it was going to be the type of book that goes on and on with boring descriptions that make you want to pull your eyes out. It wasn't quite at the eye pulling out phase but I found myself looking ahead waiting for the dialogue to start again. One other thing was that Juliette and Adam had not seen each other in years and then BAM they are in love. It was kind of annoying. I mean it's ok to go on a little about their feelings but then Julliet started up with the metaphors again and it made me look around for something to poke my eyes out with. I think this book is either a book you love or you hate. Personally, I thought it was pretty good.

What I loved:
  • Juliette was a very strong character
  • I totally did not see the ending coming

What I wished were different:

  • A little too many metaphors 
  • Adam and Juliet are a little intense with their feelings 



No comments:

Post a Comment