Monday, June 24, 2013

Transparent

Book: Transparent
Author: Natalie Whipple
Pages: 350

Blurb: "Plenty of teenagers feel invisible. Fiona McClean actually is.

An invisible girl is a priceless weapon. Fiona’s own father has been forcing her to do his dirty work for years—everything from spying on people to stealing cars to breaking into bank vaults.

After sixteen years, Fiona’s had enough. She and her mother flee to a small town, and for the first time in her life, Fiona feels like a normal life is within reach. But Fiona’s father isn't giving up that easily.

Of course, he should know better than anyone: never underestimate an invisible girl."- from goodreads.com 



Rachael's Recap

Book Rating: 3.8 chocolate bars 
Cover Rating: 4 chocolate bars 

When I first read the little blurb, I thought they meant a girl that could turn invisible, not an actual invisible girl! It was a super cool surprise and totally changed my expectations for this book.   In Transparent the main character , Fiona, escapes from her father so she does not have to continue living as his personal spy.  When she and her mother escape, Fiona starts school and meets other teens that are "special" like her.  I loved Fiona's character - strong and brave. I also loved her best friend, Bea, and her family and of course Brady and Seth. This book was funny and had twists and turns that I never saw coming. All the characters were new and fresh, not the same stereotypical girls and guys in YA books. I did feel that the first chunk of the book was really rushed though - It needed more explanation. Also, I got a huge surprise involving Fiona's love interest. I can't tell you how happy I was about that ( and no I am not going to tell you. Go pick up the book yourself). 

What I loved:

  • Fiona was not the only character with a superpower
  • Surprise twists I never saw coming ( yes, it is about Brady)
  • There are so many brothers in this book! 
  • Lots of cool superpowers, some I have never heard of

What I wished were different:

  •  I wished there was more in beginning of the book of how life was like with her father
  • I wished  there was  more of a history for Bea's family ( if you read the book you will understand)
  • It ended a bit suddenly for me
  • I wish the ending was stronger
  • Fiona over reacted a lot 
If you are looking for a book full of twist and turns and some pretty awesome super powers then go get Natalie Whipple debut novel Transparent.

No comments:

Post a Comment