Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Raised by Wolves

Title: Raised by Wolves
Author: Jennifer Lynn Barnes  
Pages: 418

Blurb: "Adopted by the Alpha of a werewolf pack after a rogue wolf brutally killed her parents right before her eyes, fifteen-year-old Bryn knows only pack life, and the rigid social hierarchy that controls it.  That doesn't mean that she's averse to breaking a rule or two.  

But when her curiosity gets the better of her and she discovers Chase, a new teen locked in a cage in her guardian's basement, and witnesses him turn into a wolf before her eyes, the horrific memories of her parents' murders return. Bryn becomes obsessed with getting her questions answered, and Chase is the only one who can provide the information she needs.

But in her drive to find the truth, will Bryn push too far beyond the constraints of the pack, forcing her to leave behind her friends, her family, and the identity that she's shaped?" - from goodreads.com


Rachael's Recap
Book Rating: 4.7 chocolate bars
Cover Rating: 4.2 chocolate bars 

When Bryn's parents are viciously murdered by a rouge werewolf, she is taken in by the alpha of a werewolf pack. Years later she meets a boy, who was recently attacked by the same rouge wolf that killed her parents. But even though her pack is less than helpful when it comes to giving her answers, she in not deterred. In her search for who attacked her parents and the newly turned werewolf Chase, she goes to extreme lengths. But, the question she really needs to answer is, what is she willing to risk to get her answers and is it worth the consequences that come?

This book was one of the few that draws you in and never let's go. I was so reveled that this was not another love triangle werewolf story. Bryn is actual a human in this story. How cool is that!? I loved her character, she was definitely not like most teen girl heroines. She kicked butt and took names. I mean, being raised by wolves has to make you tough. Another kick butt girl character in this book was Lake.  She was an amazing friend, and an amazing marksman who likes to name her weapons (again really cool). Two other characters in this book were Chase and Damon. Damon is Bryn's amazing show tune singing friend who would do almost anything for her, while Chase is the mysterious boy who was recently turned werewolf by a rouge.

This book was a fresh new view of werewolves. I loved how she was not a werewolf, and I absolutely loved that it had no vampires in it! Jennifer Lynn Barnes has an amazing way of painting Bryn's world out clearly for her readers. It had twists I didn't see coming and always had my attention. Something though that I was not totally excited about included Chase and, well yeah, Chase.  When I first "meet" Chase, I was super excited, but that soon ended. I felt like through the whole book you never got to really know Chase or understand him. Also, Bryn and Chase's relationship happened a little too fast for me. All in all though, I loved this book and definitely think it is worth the read. 

What I loved
  • Bryn is not a werewolf
  • Bryn was not a crazy love sick teenager
  • Awesome ending (no I am not telling so don't ask)
What I wished were different
  • I wished Chase had more personality
  • The connection between Bryn and Chase was very sudden
If you are looking for a new amazing book about werewolves to read, then I suggest you rush to the nearest bookstore and pick up a copy of Raised by Wolves by Jennifer Lynn Barnes.

No comments:

Post a Comment